Summer Jobs Program Coordinator
POSITION TITLE: Summer Jobs Program Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Special Projects Coordinator
POSITION STATUS: Full-time, Exempt, Temporary (March through August)
SER-Jobs for Progress (SER) has been serving the greater Houston region since 1965 by providing education, training, and employment services to low-income individuals. SER’s mission is to enhance the quality of life in the Hispanic Community and other communities in need and the agency has been fulfilling its mission by equipping individuals with the skills, tools, and resources to obtain a good paying job and long-term financial stability. An integral part of what SER does is provide real-world work experience to youth via its Summer Jobs Program. The Summer Jobs Program is a unique partnership between SER, the City of Houston, Education Training Centers, and Houston Area Urban League, all working together to address the employment needs of Houston’s youth. This program gives low-income youth, ages 16-21, the opportunity to earn $8.00/hour (substantially more than minimum wage) while working at various departments within the City of Houston. For the past 4 years SER staff have been handling the administrative and coordination of the program which has grown to serve 450 youth from local high schools and universities across the U.S.
POSITION OVERVIEW/GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
The responsibilities of the Summer Jobs Program Coordinator are to develop and deliver a comprehensive youth/young adult Summer Jobs program in support of their educational, occupational, and personal growth. Also, the Coordinator will manage and train 10 Career Coaches. The Summer Jobs Program Coordinator will act as liaison between SER and the youth interns in order to monitor job performance, document issues should they arise, and pass along information to the appropriate stakeholders. The Coordinator will also be in frequent contact with employers (host agencies serving as internship sites) in order to ensure consistent information is being communicated and summer program runs smoothly.
WORK DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Create and present policies and procedures that clearly outline what is expected of intern, the employer before, during, and after internship.
- Assist in recruitment and outreach of summer jobs program to ensure qualified individuals apply.
- Review applications and assist in selecting youth to move forward in the selection process.
- Work closely with corporate volunteers in coordinating interviews for selected youth.
- Plan and assist in teaching 8 hours of job readiness workshops to youth.
- Plan and coordinate additional workshops for youth, including a financial education class and others as needed.
- Locate and establish relationships with local private and public sector employers to create additional internship partnerships.
- Serve as liaison between the organization and employers regarding administrative and operating requirements of the program.
- Organize and track related documentation (i.e. contact information, communication logs, timesheets, evaluation forms, surveys, internship agreements, and completion forms, etc.).
- Organize and deliver presentations related to the Summer Jobs Program, the development of critical workplace skills, and the career planning and job search process.
- Perform other related duties to assure smooth program functioning.
- Participates in professional development activities and other outreach activities.
- Researches and gains full understanding of SER programs as well as its target outcomes.
- Have a passion for helping others understand and communicate their true value.
- Adhere to the mission of SER-Jobs for Progress.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to interact with young people in a respectful and caring manner
- Youth/young adult-centered and committed to coaching youth/young adults toward success
- Feel comfortable "cold-contacting" organizations and fostering relationships
- Ability to multitask and self-manage in a fun, fast-paced environment
- Active in using social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flicker, etc.)
- Strong leadership skills
- Results driven and detailed oriented
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite 2007)
- Ability to handle confidential information in accordance with the Federal Privacy Act
- Willingness to engage in continuous learning and training
- Follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format
REQUIRED EDUCATION and WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (preferred)
- 3 years of experience in program coordination, budget management, event planning
- 2 years in youth programming and training
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining why you chose to apply for this position at SER to HR@serhouston.org. Please enter "VACANCY –Summer Jobs Program Coordinator" in the subject line. No phone calls please.