Desktop Support Technician
POSITION TITLE: Desktop Support Technician
REPORTS TO: Network and Computer Systems Administrator
POSITION STATUS: Part-Time, Non-exempt
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
POSITION OVERVIEW/GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
SER-Jobs for Progress is seeking dynamic individuals to join its growing team. The Desktop Support Technician provides technical assistance to computer users, answer questions, resolves computer problems for staff and clients in person, via telephone and electronically. Provides assistances concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including printing, installation, word processing, electronic mail, and operating systems.
WORK DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Researches and gains full understanding of SER programs.
- Provide support and assistance to local and remote customers with excellent customer service.
- Provide 1st level support requests for workstation Users - responding to user questions and troubleshoot technical problems as they arise.
- Answer user inquiries regarding computer software or hardware operation to resolve problems.
- Respond to new hire/termination technology requests.
- Set up equipment for employee use, performing or ensuring proper installation of cables, operating systems, or appropriate software.
- Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, or peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Documents all requests for IT support services.
- Monitor status of pending support requests and obtain follow up information from IT Manage/Director and/or end user.
- Maintain copier/printer/fax supplies and order to meet business and budgetary constraints.
- Act as the MS Office specialist in assisting and instructing staff in use of Office products.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven troubleshooting abilities with a strong customer service orientation
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute task, be organized and manage your time
- Excellent computer skills/knowledge required, as well as the ability to solve problems and troubleshoot
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have 1-2 years of experience working as a Desktop Support Technician
- Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming
- Self-motivated, self-directed
- Ability to determine how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes
- Must be able to handle information in a confidential matter
- Ability to identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system
- Ability to diagnose WAN, LAN, WIFI network issues
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
- Follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format
- Travel is required, therefore a valid driver's license and access to a reliable insured motor vehicle is also requirement
- Ability to pass a drug screening and background check
REQUIRED EDUCATION and WORK EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED required; Associates degree or relevant certifications preferred.
- Must have 1-2 years of experience working as a Desktop Support Specialist.
- Technologically fluent with Microsoft Operating Systems (XP, Win7, Win8, 2003 Server, MS Office 2010 & 2013 and Office365.
- Microsoft A+ certification preferred.
SER-Jobs for Progress values a diverse, respectful, and collaborative work environment. We establish and maintain trustful relationships with all staff, contractors, funders, partners, and communities. We believe that hard work, a focus on quality, and passion are required to improve the well-being of individuals, families, and communities. SER looks to all staff to contribute to the effective implementation of programmatic activities.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about the opportunity, to HR@SERhouston.org by Friday, February 3rd. Please enter "VACANCY – Desktop Support Technician" in the subject line. No phone calls please.